Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Responses: Nurturing the Beast Within... and More (Responses to Carl Sandburg, All Part of the Party)


Nurturing the beast within . .
.

There is a beast in me... maybe even several,
...that bark and woof, hoot and howl,
.....wail and often keep me awake nights.

Perhaps it's all those genes
...I shared with my progeny,
.....vestiges of complex phylogeny.

Sometimes I live with dread
...of the iconic songs stuck in my head
....."The cat is dead. We put him in a box..."

Then we have a blue moon night
...and it seems I'm not alone,
......the back alleys are filled with howling.

There seems little hope of denying
...the only recourse is to embrace
.....the beast that whines... deep within.

--r.anderson



first beastalette

under the microscope
a radiant animalcule
peerless identical descendant
of the first one ever introduced
to van Leeuwenhoek -
glowing, docking in the dark
shy (hiding her shiny buttons
from most everyone): pal
of the part that beats the loudest
shhh don’t tell anyone
until you do – oh now
you've done it and everyone knows -
that’s where the secrets live

KB